I’ve been wanting to try this concoction out for sometime now, so with my vegetarian sister in town, I had the perfect excuse! At my house we are NOT vegetarians (we love-a spicy meata-ball!) but we eat a lot of veggies. I constantly look for ways to add vegetables to our meals, sometimes I do this with salads, sometimes side dishes, and sometimes I add them to the main dish.
Recently I started I adding shredded green cabbage to my Sloppy Joe recipe each time I made it. I don’t have official numbers to share, but I am sure that the calories, cholesterol, and fat are significantly reduced when you replace about half the meat with cabbage.
After doing this a couple of times, I became interested in making a totally meatless Sloppy Joe sandwich, which leads us to today’s recipe!Vegetarian Sloppy Joes (Recipe makes about 8 sandwiches) 6-8 Cups Shredded Green Cabbage 1 Carrot, Shredded 1/2 Green Pepper, Diced 1 Cup Corn (I used frozen, but fresh or canned will work too) Water Sauce 1 Cup Ketchup 1/4 Cup Water 1 Tablespoon Vinegar 2 Teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar 2 Teaspoons Mustard 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder 1/4 Teaspoon Salt 1 Package Buns
- Add shredded cabbage and a 1/4 cup water to large saute pan over medium heat, stirring frequently. Allow cabbage to cook for about 5 minutes. You basically want to give it, a head start on cooking before adding the other vegetables.
- Add remaining vegetables to pan, stirring occasionally. Allow to cook 2-3 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients for sauce in a medium size bowl.
- Add sauce mixture to vegetables, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low-medium.
- Cook for about 5-8 minutes until cabbage reaches desired consistency.
- Scoop mixture on buns, eat, enjoy!